Issue 1, July 1996, Dark Horse Comics ($5.95, ISBN: 1-56971-169-0)
[aka Harlan Ellison’s Dream Quarterly Vol. 2, No. 1]
editor, Harlan Ellison, with Bob Schreck, Anina Bennett, and Diana Schutz; logo & book design, Cary Grazzini
cover, Terese Nielsen; story behind the cover, “The Lingering Smell of Woodsmoke”
Interstitial Framing Sequences
story, Harlan Ellison; art, Eric Shanower
color, Bernie Mireault; letters, Richard Starkings & Comicraft
Other credits after the break
“One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty”
adaption, Jan Strand; art, Paul Chadwick;
color, Bernie Mireault; letters, Bill Spicer
“The Voice In The Garden”
adaption and art, Bret Blevins; color, Dave Nestelle; letters, Michael Taylor
adaption, John Ostrander; pencils, Marty Nodell; inks, Jed Hotchkiss; color, Gregory Wright; letters, Sean Konot
adaption, Tony Isabella; art, Rags Morales; color, Marie Severin; letters, Clem Robins
story, Harlan Ellison; art, Neal Adams
After a special and five regular issues Harlan Ellison’s Dream Corridor was retooled into Harlan Ellison’s Dream Corridor Quarterly (also listed in the indicia and spine as Harlan Ellison’s Dream Corridor Quarterly Vol. Two). A square-bound double-sized book, similar in format to the original Special, the Quarterly was meant to allow a fresh launch of the concept and allow more time to assemble each issue.
One issue was published and then the book went into hiatus. The planned contents for later issues eventually appeared, along with the contents of Quarterly #1, in the collection Harlan Ellison’s Dream Corridor Vol. Two.
One story in the book is not original to the Dream Quarterly series. “Rock God,” a collaboration between Harlan Ellison and Neal Adams, first appeared in Creepy #32 (Warren, 1972). They also collaborated on the story “Crazy As A Soup Sandwich” in Twilight Zone #1 (NOW, 1991).
- The story “Rock God” first appeared in Creepy #32
- “The Lingering Smell of Woodsmoke,” “Gnomebody,” “One Life…,” “Opposites Attract,” “The Voice In The Garden,” “Rock God,” and the Framing Sequences later appeared in Harlan Ellison’s Dream Corridor Vol. Two (2007).
- “The Lingering Smell of Woodsmoke” appears here for the first time. It was subsequently printed in the collection Slippage, 1997
- “One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty” first appeared in Orbit 8, 1970 and appears in the collections Approaching Oblivion, 1974; and The Essential Ellison, 1987
- “The Voice In The Garden” first appeared in Lighthouse, Jun ’67 and appears in the collections From the Land of Fear, 1967; and The Essential Ellison, 1987
- “Gnomebody” first appeared in Amazing Stories, October ’56 and appears in the collection Ellison Wonderland, 1962
- “Opposites Attract” first appeared in Caper, November 1957 and is included in the collection No Doors, No Windows, 1975
- “Rock God” first appeared in Coven 13, Nov ’69 and is featured in the collections Over the Edge, 1970; Deathbird Stories, 1975; Dreams with Sharp Teeth, 1991; and Edgeworks 1, 1996